Wednesday, April 17, 2013

The Making of The Pope: 2005


Andrew M. Greeley The Making of The Pope: 2005” Tom Doherty Associates, 2005,  254 pp.
I recommend this book—it is not a novel.  Father Greeley is not new to writing about elections of a Pope, he previously chronicled the 1978 election of John Paul II.  Much of this current book covers reforms that Father Greeley believes are needed in the Catholic Church and his pessimism that Benedict XVI will bring any of it about (he didn’t know about Pope Francis).  Those that agree that these reforms are needed, as I do, will like the book; others—not.  In the last third of the book the reader will find a play-by-play description of the 2005 Conclave.

A lot of discussion revolves around the changes brought about by John XXIII in Vatican II.  But it is important to keep in mind that whatever Vatican II did, it didn’t undo Vatican I, which set down papal infallibility as a dogma.  Once that happened, it has to asked why have other ecumenical councils: Why not just have infallible Pope speak ex cathedra and keep us from error.  This marvelous discovery of 1871 is just not appropriately utilized.  Could it be that many are skeptical??

As Greeley shows, some Catholics feel more comfortable with Vatican I—centralized authority, papal infallibility, etc. —and some feel more comfortable with Vatican II—openness to the outside world, ecumenism to Protestants, collegiality among bishops, etc. Both councils are part of Catholic tradition, so neither can simply be ignored.  (Or as I say: You want to bet?)

No comments: