Friday, June 29, 2012

Bring Up The Bodies



Hilary Mantel, Bring Up The Bodies ”, 2012, Henry Holt & Co, 410 pp. 

The action of Bring Up The Bodies occupies only nine months, and within that nine months it concentrates on the three weeks in which Henry VIII's second wife, Anne Boleyn, is arrested, tried and executed for treason. This is the second book of a trilogy, written from the perspective of Thomas Cromwell.  The first book of this series was Wolf Hall, which I read some time ago and posted my review at that time; the last book has yet to be written.  This current book is a much more concentrated read than Wolf Hall. There are no diversions once the plot against Anne begins to accelerate. 

However I would like to comment: Have you ever had a book you were sad it ended…me too—this is not one of them.  There are no references to the action and I have little faith in the historical accuracy.  In any event, most of the action concerns things you might see on the Jerry Springer show (is it still on)?

No comments: