Tuesday, February 19, 2013

Irish Lace

Andrew M. Greeley Irish Lace”  Tom Doherty Associates,1996, 303 pp.  

I guess I continue reading this author because my maternal grandparents came from the Connemara area, as does the book’s character Nuala Anne McGrail: a fey (we would say psychic) that uses those abilities to solve mysteries along with her admirer and “spear carrier” Dermot Michael Coyne.  

I also find it entertaining to read such novels involving romance but written by a Catholic priest born in 1928.  His writing certainly reflects attitudes of that generation, the same generation as my parents.

Anyway, this particular novel brings up a related American Civil War controversy involving the Camp Douglas, a prison camp somewhat less infamous than Andersonville in the south though attaining the reputation as the worst camp in the north.  Most of the facts in the novel dealing with Camp Douglas are true, except for a letter allegedly written by Abe Lincoln.  Camp Douglas was located in what is now the south side of Chicago. 
 The pair are additionally involved in pursuing a gang of art thieves corrupt politicians, and international terrorists.  

No comments: