
Lindy Boggs, “Washington Through a Purple Veil: Memoirs of a Southern Woman”, Harcourt Brace & Co, 1994, 373 Pages
As I was waiting for books I have on order at the library, I came across this biography sitting on a library shelf. I vaguely remembered congressman Hale Boggs from Louisiana and thought this book would entertain & slightly educate me while waiting for books I had ordered. I was not aware that his wife Lindy succeeded him in Congress after his death in an Alaska plane crash in 1973; Hale had been elected to Congress in 1941. Anyway, the book did not disappoint me even though the author sees and reports only the best in all people whether they are Republicans or Democrats. She is sincere and we can only wish that such people may get in office in the future. Lindy is still alive, she was born in 1916. She retired from Congress in 1990 and lives in New Orleans. Her daughter is NPR correspondent, Cokie Roberts.

No comments:
Post a Comment