Monday, September 28, 2009

Memories of a Catholic Girlhood



Mary McCarthy, “Memories of a Catholic Girlhood”, Harcourt Brace & Co., 1957, 245 Pages

Memories of a Catholic Girlhood is the autobiography of Mary McCarthy. Mary was born in 1912 and died in 1989. This book chronicles McCarthy's childhood including her being orphaned, having an extremely abusive great uncle, and losing her Catholic faith at about the age of 12. I found the first half of the book to be particulary interesting and the last half moderately so. Anyway, it is a quick read and well worth reading the first half. This book does not lend itself to my usual notes, so I have none.

Mary is a well known author, probably best known for her book “The Group”. Other novels by her are: The Company She Keeps (1942), The Oasis (1949), The Groves of Academe (1952), A Charmed Life (1955), Birds of America (1971), and Cannibals and Missionaries (1979). I have not read any of these but may get around to them…some day.

No comments: