
Leon Uris, “Redemption”, Harper Collins (1995) 800 pgs.
Redemption continues the story of the Irish struggle for freedom which began in Trinity, a book I previously reported on. Redemption is set against the backdrop of growing unrest in Ireland and a world on the brink of the First World War. The same three families from Trinity are followed in this book.
I liked the book only because I am excessively into Irish history. I recommend that Trinity be read before this book. Only if you find Trinity compelling should you then read this book. Redemption spends too much time on romance and too little on the intricacies of Irish politics. It covers the period from about 1890 through the 1916 Easter rebellion but nothing after that. The book would have been much better if it covered the civil war period. The books coverage of the battle of Gallipoli is too focused on a small band of New Zealanders and not enough on the overall battle. However, I repeat: if you like Trinity you will like this book—I did.

No comments:
Post a Comment