Sunday, January 11, 2009

Mean On Sunday



Although I really like our local library, I am beginning to feel my reading tastes must be kind of peculiar relative to local clients. At least 90% of the books I get are from libraries other than my own local library. We have this inter-library loan thing which makes books available to me. Why is it that my own local library never seems to carry books I want to read??? Hence the current book. I picked it up at the, get ready for this..., local library as I am waiting for five other books I have on request through the inter-library loan.

This is Ray Nitschke's 1973 autobiography, detailing his underprivileged boyhood in Chicago (his father died when he was three and his mother when he was thirteen), through his playing days at the University of Illinois, and culminating with his
15-year career with the Packers through all the glory years.

As an old Packer fan from the Lombardi era, I found the book very entertaining. Of course I have read other books on the Packers written by Kramer, Hornug, as well as biographies of Lombardi. Ray died in 1998 of a heart attack; he was only 62 years old.

I do not much care for sports these days but I can still name all the original Milwaukee Braves (not Brewers) of 1955 as well as all the Packers of 1964. Basketball...nah.

No comments: