P.J. O’Rourke,”A Cry From The Far Middle,” Atlantic
Monthly Press, 2020, 219 pp.
Satire and humor are great tools to make a point. But, as with everything, too much of a good
thing can be annoying. This was my
thought through much of this book even though here-and-there I picked up some
useful thoughts and a laugh or two. The
author was 72 in 2020 when writing the book: maybe curmudgeonly sets in at that
age. The title indicates that there is a
middle ground, I didn’t find it.
My Notes:
Pg. 1: Half the
nation is saying, “We don’t know what’s wrong with America, but we can fix it,
“while the other half says, “There’s nothing wrong with America, and we can fix
that.”
Pg. 16: Ravaged
by climate change. Torn by internecine
strife. Gross inequality in the
distribution of wealth. Widespread
poverty. Drug use. Oppression of women and minorities. And that was in 1491. Next year things got much worse.
Pg. 23: A
friend of mine recently told me that America’s angry perplexity made him feel
confused. (Admittedly he’s a cisgender
heteronormative middle-aged white male from the Midwest and can’t be expected
to truly have feelings.) I don’t get
it,” he said. “America emerged from the
Cold War with a military that dominates the world and an economy that does the
same and now business is booming. Why
aren’t we fat and happy?” Well, we’ve
got the fat part.
Pg. 40: Civil
liberties. Free speech. Property rights. Rule of law.
Representative democracy. Free
enterprise. Free trade. These are the ideas of Classical Liberalism. Since 1776 the fortunate among us have been
living in places where those ideas were embraced.
Pg. 58f: A
libertarian walks into a bar and happens to sit down on a bar stool next to
Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez. The
libertarian stares up at the bar’s TV as the 10 o’clock news comes on. The news crew has its camera on a man
standing on a ledge of a tall building getting ready to jump.
Alexandria
looks at the libertarian and says, “Do you think he’ll jump?”
The Libertarian
says, “I bet he will.”
Alexandria says,
“Well, I bet he won’t.”
The libertarian
puts $20 on the bar and says, “You’re on.”
Just as Alexandria
puts her own money on the bar, the man on the TV screen jumps and falls to his
death. Alexandria is very upset but she
hands her $20 to the libertarian, saying.
“Okay here’s your money.”
The libertarian
says, “I can’t take your money. I saw
this earlier on the five o’clock news and I knew he would jump.”
Alexandria says,
“I saw it too. But I didn’t think
he’d do it again.”
Pg. 117:
First Golfer: Take a look
at this golf ball. Doesn’t matter how
bad you hook or slice. It’s got a
flashing red light and a beeper and a GPS chip and a Bluetooth tracking locator
and a camera that sends you a selfie of its location.
Second Golfer: Wow! Where did you get that golf ball?
First Golfer: I found it.
Pg. 178f:
General Powell proposed eight questions that should be answered ‘yes’
before America uses military force (The Powell Doctrine):
1. Is a vital national security interest threatened”?
2. Do
we have a clear attainable objective”?
3. Have
the risks and costs been fully and frankly analyzed”
4. Have
all other nonviolent policy means been fully exhausted?
5. Is
there a plausible exit strategy to avoid endless entanglement?
6. Have
the consequences of our action been fully considered?
7. Is
the action supported by the American people?
8. Do
we have genuine broad international support?
Pg. 213: What a
land of equal opportunity this is.
Seeing hundreds of my fellow countrymen in their cars makes it clear
that, in America no one is too intellectually challenged,
emotionally fragile, beset by anger management issues, encumbered by dementia,
or burdened by obsessive compulsive disorders involving personal communication
devices, burritos, and Grande Caffe Lattes to have a car. There may be discrimination in this country but
not on the highways.


No comments:
Post a Comment