Thursday, July 13, 2017

The Staggerford Flood

Jon Hassler The Staggerford Flood” Viking, 2002, 199 pp.

This is another book recommended by my friend Gerry.  I read it in 2014 but am now getting around to putting it on my blogsite.  It is an entertaining read but I was puzzled by the theme.  The book delves into how the woman protagonist thinks in great detail.   But the author is a man, so I read the entire book with a skeptical attitude, and it only took one day of my valuable time and I did enjoy the book.

 Plot:  Agatha McGee now near eighty and long-ago retired from teaching sixth grade has to provide refuge for seven other women for three days and nights when a flood hits Staggerford and neighboring Minnesota towns.  Agatha’s house is located on the highest hill in town.  The interaction of the characters provides the substance of the book. 

Apparently, there is a series of books involving these same characters.

My Notes:

Pg. 173:  Frederick’s put on his blue necktie, the one with the food stains mostly invisible. “Yes, Frederick, you look very nice,” said Agatha, reaching up and tugging his necktie into a straight line.  He expected this approval since her eyesight was bad.  He had resigned himself to the fact that if she had cataract surgery, he’d have to buy a new tie.

No comments: