Tuesday, January 3, 2017

The Pillars of the Earth

Ken Follett, The Pillars of the Earth,” Penguin Books, 1989 Paperback, 973 pgs.

The Pillars of the Earth is a historical novel published in 1989 with the plot covering two generations and revolving around the building of the first English Gothic cathedral in the fictional town of Kingsbridge. It is set in the middle of the 12th century, primarily during the Anarchy, around the time of Henry I, Henry II, and the murder of Thomas Becket. The book traces the development of Gothic architecture out of the preceding Romanesque architecture, as well as the civil war anarchy of that time.  This best-selling book was later made into an 8-part miniseries in 2010.


When I read a novel, historical fiction is usually my choice.  This novel of that genre did hold my attention—all 973 pages of it.  A complete and detailed survey of the plot can be found on Wikipedia (which I donate $30 to each year!).

No comments: