Larry McMurtry, “The Last Kind Words Saloon” W.W.Norton
& Co., 2014, 196 pp.
Some years ago I read a terrific book, “Lonesome Dove”. So the other day when I saw it on a library
shelf, I noticed that same author had written many other books and “The Last Kind Words Saloon” kind of
attracted my eye, probably because of its strange title. or, maybe because Linda was perusing movies and I had nothing to do.
The books title comes from the sign one of the Earp
brothers carries from town to town as he opens saloons in each. We meet Wyatt Earp and Doc Holliday presented
much differently than the legends portrayed in movies. We also meet the
legendary Carlie Goodnight and Bill Cody.
Of course the OK corral incident is part of the book but hardly takes up
more than a page of explanation.
I enjoyed that book but am puzzled why? It is an entertaining book that takes less
than a day to read. It certainly is not
of the caliber of “Lonesome Dove”
which I highly recommend. In any event, this author really has a way with words and captures believable conversations from the 19th century.


No comments:
Post a Comment