Friday, December 5, 2014

Ordinary Grace

William Kent Krueger, Ordinary Grace” Atria Books, 2013, 307 pp.

This book was recommended to me by Gerry, a teacher friend of my sister’s, apparently a person whose recommendations are worth investigating.  This book is not my normal non-fiction fare, it is a novel and a mystery, but I discovered well worth one’s attention.  Even though it is 307 pages long, I couldn’t put it down and read it in one day—it’s that kind of book.

Plot: The books setting is the middle of Minnesota, Bremen, in 1961 (the time was probably another attraction for me).  Anyway, the small town setting is convincing as seen through the eyes of thirteen-year-old Frank Drum.  A summer in which mysterious death occurs four times.

Notes:

Pg. 20:  I was a Boy Scout.  Not a good one.  I liked the general idea of being trustworthy and loyal and thrifty and brave and clean and reverent but the effort it took to hang in there with all those weighty virtues was usually more than I cared to muster.  

No comments: