Paul Sullivan, “Clutch: Why Some
People Excel Under Pressure and Others Don’t”, Penguin Group (2010) 230
pp.
New York journalist Paul Sullivan investigates just why some
people operate just as they do any other day regardless of extraordinary high
stress on some of those days. This book
is full of interesting anecdotes gathered from interviewing a multitude of
individuals in business, the military,
and in sports: the sergeant who saved his battalion in Iraq, a lawyer
who barely survived school but became a top litigator, a rookie baseball player
who pitched his team into its first World Series,
The most intriguing premise of the book is the claim and
documentation that those who perform well under stress do so not from innate
ability but from a learned skill.
Furthermore, according to the author, anyone can learn this skill. As I am retired, I do not need to learn this
skill but believe this book is quite useful for those needing to perform well
under pressure.
(I have no notes on this book, literally, as I lost
them!!. The pressure was just too
great.)


No comments:
Post a Comment