Friday, January 18, 2013

Armageddon



Kurt Vonnegut Armageddon in Retrospect: And Other New & Unpublished Writings on War and Peace” G.P. Putnam’s Sons, 2008, 232 pp.

Sometime back I read my second Kurt Vonnegut book, “Breakfast of Champions” and commented:  “This is my second Vonnegut book.  I felt I should try a second after my disappointment with the first, there will not be a third.  Vonnegut is now dead and probably relived from what I surmise was a depressing outlook on life—that is sure what comes across in his fiction.  My four year old grandson summed it up when I asked him.  “What are you drawing, Leo,” He replied, “The earth and planets.”  “Why is the paper black?”  “Because the earth is dirty.”  If you understand Leo, you can skip the book.”

Well…I forgot my comments, and have now read this third book and I am glad I did.  Kurt died in April of 2007; this book is a collection of twelve unpublished writings of his on war and peace.  The pieces range from his actual experience as a POW during the bombing of Dresden during WWII, to a letter written by Vonnegut to his family in 1945, informing them that he'd been taken prisoner by the Germans, as well as his last speech, delivered after his death by his son Mark. 

I found the book worthwhile with some thought provoking short stories 

No comments: