
John R. Powers “The Junk-Drawer-Corner-Store Front-Porch Blues”, 1992, Dutton, 210 pp
Well…I guess I finally completed all four of this authors’ books. They are relaxing and can all be read in a day. This book deals with Donald Cooper, a comedy writer living in Los Angles who is originally from the south side of Chicago. His elderly Mother has broken her hip and is in a Chicago hospital and Donald goes to Chicago to see her. While he deals with his Mother’s requests, he has flashbacks to when he and his younger brother grew up in Chicago 20 years ago.
Some interesting excerpts from the book:
Pg. 44: You never saw a squad car around here. If you did something wrong, why would somebody call a cop if they knew your mother? A cop can only shoot you. Your mother can always nag you to death.
Pg. 65: It was right here that I decided what I was going to be, a major-league baseball player. I had everything it took: desire, determination, discipline. The only thing I didn’t have was talent. I could always play for the Cubs.

No comments:
Post a Comment