
Ivan Doig, “The Eleventh Man,” Mariner Books, 2008, 406 pp.
Because I enjoyed novelist Doig previous book (The Whistling Season), I was inspired to read another work by this same author. I chose “The Eleventh Man” because it dealt with WWII, a subject of interest to me. This book does not have the humorous anecdotes of “The Whistling Season”. As an apparent poetic license, the author follows the war experiences of eleven starters of a close-knit Montana college championship football team who all enlist in various branches of the military services. One of the eleven is taken from his pilot training and more or less forced to become a war correspondent and follow the other ten in their various military assignments. Of course there is a romantic twist as we follow this correspondent. One by one his teammates are being killed—our correspondent Ben Reinkling suspects they may be deliberately put in harm way to make a better story.

No comments:
Post a Comment