
Colm Toibin, “Brooklyn”, Center Point Publishing, 2009, 358 Pgs. large print
Brooklyn is a story set in 1950 of an Irish girl, Eilis Lacey, who has to leave Ireland for America as their are no jobs in Ireland that provides a living wage. The story purports to show the feeling of an young immigrant woman in a strange country and how difficult the transition is even though language is not part of the transition. I found the book suspect in that it deals mostly with the feelings of this young woman, but the story is written by a man. I cannot understand why the author did not use a young man as the protaginist but the book was recommended to me by a woman so I guess the story is credible to women.
The book is an easy one-day read but is really not my kind of book. This kind of book does not lend itself to compiling notes, so I didn’t. Likewise: I finished Mark Twains “PUDD’NHEAD WILSON (C1894) which is interesting but again not my kind of reading.

No comments:
Post a Comment