Tuesday, December 14, 2010

Tales From The Far Side of the Crib





Bigger Kids: Abe & Cassie
Runts: Princess Sophie and Leo-Leo the Real Deal

I rolled over, observing the luminescent time of 1:30 A.M on the alarm clock-- I then fixed my attention on a movement in the dark hallway, just outside the open bedroom door. It appeared to be a very short person, walking towards the bedroom as if able to see in the dark. This person did not even say hello when crawling over Grandma and nestling into a vacant spot in the middle of the bed. I firmly resolved to talk to this intruder in the morning —if not the morning, at least sometime before next Fall. As I drifted back to sleep, pondering how my Grandpa would have killed me had I tried this late night maneuver in days-gone-by, I heard Grandma whisper to the intruder, “Would you like a glass of water honey.”


It started when the father, Jim, called for the mother, Julie, to “Come quick and see what Leo did.” Faster than Edith Bunker but just as intent, Julie ran to see what little Leo, perched on the Kohler Porcelain household-device, had done. Little Leo using his newly-mastered gymnastic technique, lifted his little butt up and began to rotate 30 degrees each way, providing a striking view of the contents below him. “Good Boy” exclaimed the Mommy viewing into the Kohler cavity. Five year old Princess Sophie then pushed to the front of the crowd, viewed the deposit, and exclaimed, “WOW.”

Potty training is truly a family affair. This author was reminded of similar nation-wide reactions as the last presidential election ballots were, dare I say, deposited.

No comments: