
Thomas M. DeFrank, “Write It When I’m Gone”, Penguin Books Ltd, 2007, Pages 250
This book is composed of interviews this author had with former President Gerald Ford between 1991 and 2006, over more than a fifteen year period. The interviews were granted on the condition that they be held in confidence until after Ford’s death, which occurred in December, 2006. I just happened to be in D.C. in 2006 and was held up at an expressway entrance when the hearse with Ford’s body came past. I felt then much what this book attests to: the passing of a very decent man. Thomas DeFrank shares Ford's assessments of the major world figures (Nixon, Reagan, Bush, Clinton, Bush) and major events of his time, including Watergate and the war in Iraq. The book brings out the great decency of Gerald Ford and how fortunate the country was that he replaced Nixon and how the pardon was the right thing to do. Ford did not much care for Ronald Regan, particularly Nancy. However the only person he seems to really detest is John Dean! Interesting that he did believe that Clinton needed therapy for his addiction.

No comments:
Post a Comment